Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burger
Easiest, tastier and filling vegetarian burger ever! If you are craving a burger but you don’t want to compromise your fitness goals, this burger is for you. It has protein and healthy carbs and is super tasty!
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 2 spring onions
- 1 tsp. of ground cumin
- 1 tsp. of smoked paprika
- Salt & pepper
- 2-3 chipotles (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven at 400F/204 C.
- Peal the sweet potatoes and cut them in half. Place them on a baking tray with parchment paper. Once the oven is ready, bake the potatoes for 30-35 minutes. Flip sides after 10-15 minutes.
- While the potatoes are baking, cook the brown rice* and drain the black beans.
- Place the beans on a bowl and smashed them.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven and smashed them and combine with the beans.
- Add the rice, diced spring onion, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper.
- If adding chipotles, diced them and add to the mix.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add more rice if the mixture feels too wet. It should be very moist but moldable.
- Place new parchment paper on the baking tray and line a 1/4-cup measuring cup with plastic wrap. If you don’t have plastic wrap just be more careful with the mix.
- Fill the lined measuring cup with sweet potato mixture. Scrape down to pack, then lift out and transfer to the baking sheet and gently press down to mash. The thinner you press them, the faster they’ll cook, but no need to go too far. Just a gentle press will do.
- Bake the burger for 30-35 minutes, carefully flipping after 15 minutes. The longer you bake them the firmer and dryer the will get – you can pick and choose how you will like them.
- This recipe makes an average of 10-12 burgers depending on size. You can storage the leftover, just make sure to let them cool down.
* To cook rice: bring 2 cups water to a boil, then add 1 cup very well-rinsed rice, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for about 30-40 minutes or until fluffy and tender. You will have leftovers.