High Protein Vegan Chocolate-Banana Muffins
Since some of you know, I have been somehow following macros for the last couple months, I say roughly because I don't hit my macros everyday, and most days I don't focus on it at all. The only reason I track is to make sure I am eating enough calories to build muscle mass.
I have't had any issue eating enough protein as a plant based eater, but I do get soooo many questions around this topic. I also know tons of you have a very very sweet tooth, and you might call me crazy but I rather a salty snack than chocolate. However, last month I was craving something sweet, and wanted a to bake something. So, I pulled out my friends Caitlin blog, found a muffin recipe, changed a few ingredients, and experimented with a protein version of it.
This recipe is also on my FREE Fit and Healthy Vegan Kit, that you can download here. It will be free just for the rest of the month, so make sure to get it soon!
Before you start baking I wanted to give you some tips:
-You don't need to add protein powder if you don't like it. Just double the oat flour and you will have a normal peanut butter banana muffin (still yummy!)
- I used Vega protein and greens protein, and I have no idea how it would taste with another brand, but try it out!
- I also used chunky peanut butter for extra crunch, but you can use any other peanut butter. Also not sure how it would taste with other nut butter.
- 4 Medium Ripe Bananas, divided (make sure they are brown and spotty!)
- 1 1/4 rolled oats
- 1 1/4 vega chocolate protein powder
- 1/4 cup Creamy Natural Peanut Butter (should only be peanuts + salt)
- 1/4 cup Cacao Nibs or Chocolate Chips
- 2 tbsp Ground Flax OR Ground Chia Seeds + 6 tbsp Water
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, combine the Ground Flax with 6 tbsp water to form an "egg". Stir and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the Rolled Oats into a blender or food processor and blend until they form a fine flour
- Place the Oat Flour into a medium sized bowl and add the protein powder, Baking Powder, remaining 1/4 cup of Rolled Oats. Mix well and set aside.
- Add 3 of your ripe Bananas to a separate bowl, and mash with a fork until they form an even, runny texture. Add the Peanut Butter, Apple Cider Vinegar, Vanilla Extract, and Flax Egg to the bowl. Mix well.
- Slowly incorporate the dry flour mixture into the wet Banana mixture, stirring well and until all clumps have disappeared.
- Chop the remaining banana into bite-sized chunks. Gently fold the banana chunks, and cacao nibs into the batter.
- Line or grease a muffin tin and divide the batter evenly into all 10 cups.
- Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes, or until the top of the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick comes out cleanly or with minimal crumbs. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove
And you are all set!
If you make them don't forget to tag me on your creations!