CRISPY SPICY TOFU BOWL (VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE)
If you follow me on Instragram (if not, well this is your calling), I am making a #projectcomeback – where if I’m not traveling, I’m trying to make the hardest effort to eat healthy and cooking at home.
Healthy and yummy bowls are my go to lunch and dinners; they take 15-20 minutes to make and are easy to pack to take with me wherever I go. So I have made the effort to create epic bowls everyday.
This is one of my ultimate favorite, the crispy spicy tofu makes it super tasty, crunchy and combined with the sweet potato it’s soooo perfect. I love the spicy and sweet taste at once and this is not exception.
When making my meals, I’m choosing ingredients that will create a balanced bowl, including plant based proteins (although every vegetable, grain or legume has protein), carbohydrates, healthy fats, micronutrients (a lot of greens) and keeping my dressings to a minimum and instead using apple cider vinegar and liquid amino to add extra flavor my meal.
If you have noticed, I’ve been adding a bit more of vegan kimchi or fermented foods as well to keep my gut healthy. I consume a lot of vegetables and specially greens, which helps my micro biome, but adding a bit more will keep it even healthier.
Here my latest favorite bowls.
CRISPY SPICY TOFU BOWL
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 3 handfuls of spinach
- ¼ red onion
- ¼ cucumber
- 3-4 cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 block of tofu
- vegan kimchi
- 2 tbsp. of liquid aminos
- 1tsp of Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. of smoked red jalapeño spice (you could use chipotle or paprika)
- Preheat the oven at 400F/204C
- Diced the sweet potato and place on a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Drained the tofu. Use paper towel to press gently and take some of the water out.
- On a bowl add one tablespoon of liquid aminos and the smoked red jalapeño spice. Mix with the tofu, and place the tofu on the same baking tray.
- Cook the tofu and sweet potato for about 25-30 minutes, or until the sweet potato is cooked and the tofu is crisp enough.
- Chop the onion, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and place them in a bowl with the spinach.
- Once the tofu and sweet potato are cooked, mix with the rest of the salad.
- Add he rest of the liquid aminos and apple cider vinegar. Add a little bit of kimchi and you are done!
I would only recommend a bit of kimchi, since I’ve noticed when I eat a lot my stomach doesn’t react well.
Instead of spicy spices, you could use siracha and will make it spicy as well.