I have this obsession now that I cook pretty much everything from scratch. Seriously. EVERYTHING. I guess after watching "Cooked" on Netflix I kinda felt the need to do it.
I have cooked black beans, chickpeas and even tortillas from scratch! My mum will never believe this ( hola mami!).
With so many cooked chickpeas, I felt like doing something else. So, we roasted a beet root, and made pink hummus!
Now, you don´t have to cook the chickpeas from scratch (but I do recommend you to do it!) but you do have to roast the beet root.
Here is the recipe:
- 1 medium beet root
- 2 cups of cook chickpeas
- zest of one lemon
- juice of half a lemon
- pinch salt and black pepper
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- Preheat oven to 375°F, remove the stem and most of the root from your beets, and scrub and wash them underwater until clean.
- Wrap beets in foil and roast for one hour or until a knife inserted falls out without resistance. They should be tender. Set a side (in a bowl to catch juice) to cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, puree beets in a blender/food processor.
- Add the remaining ingredients until smooth. You might have to scratch the sides of the food processor couple times.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt or lemon juice if needed. If it’s too thick, add a bit of water.
- You can keep the hummus up to a week.
Hummus is perfect with falafels, carrots and celery, on a piece of rye toast or as dressing on a salad!
If you make this recipe, please, show it to me! you can share it and tag me on instagram!