Spicy Lentil Curry
If you know me, you know I love spicy food. Mexican food is always spicy, and well...delish. But if I had to choose, Asian food can be my second favorite. When I say Asian food, I mean thai, vietnamese and Indian. I can't say I have tried the real deal, because I have never been to Asia, but every single time I try any inspired dish, or get to go to a restaurant that has this kinda food, I LOVE IT.
It has been a challenge of mine, to make a many good curry recipes. It has taking me so long because it is super intimidating to me. It is such a different culture and way to cook, and use spices that I didn't know where to start.
Last week, I did a lil digging in my pantry and recipes online, and realized I have soooo many spices that I could make a spicy curry. And well I did it...I took the challenge and made my first lentil curry and turn out to be DELISHHHHHH
Spicy Lentil Curry
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp each cumin, coriander, turmeric, curry powder, garam masala, sea salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, chilli flakes (add more or less of smoked paprika and chili depending how spicy you want it)
- 1 cup of uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup of uncooked lentils
- 5-6 small potatoes
- 2 finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 liter of vegetable broth
- In a pot, bring 2 cups of water to boil add the rice, mix around, let boil once. Cover the pot and bring the flame to low, let cook for 40 minutes.
- In a pot, at medium heat, sauté the onion with the garlic (around 3-4 minutes). Add the spices and mix well. If the flame is too hot it might burn the spices a little bit, but is ok! just keep mixing.
- Add the tomatoes and mix.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring the heat a bit higher until it boils, Then add the potatoes and lentils. Let boil one more time, then bring the heat to low, cover and let cook for 30 minutes.
- Serve with the brown rice.
And finito! It honestly made tons! but it was great for meal prepping for my week. If you want to make less, just half the ingredients.
If you like it, please let me know or share with me on instagram and snapchat @anagoesfit #anaeats