SPICY SWEET POTATO + BLACK BEAN QUESADILLAS (Vegan)
Not getting into too much detail here, besides the fact that these quesadillas were SO GOOD. I surprised myself with the outcome, and not to brag but my Mexican side was very proud of me.
There are cheesless, which my Mexican side is screaming at me that a quesadilla without cheese isn't a quesadilla, but screw it, it is a quesadilla. I might re do them with vegan cheese thought. I have the feeling that they will be delishhhhh.
Ok, here it is the recipe. Enjoy!
SPICY SWEET POTATO BLACK BEAN QUESADILLAS
- 1 Sweet potato (already smashed will make it faster)
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans
- handful of cilantro
- 3 oz of tempeh
- 1 tbsp of liquid aminos
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce (canned)
- 4 corn tortillas
- Avocado (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F
- Cut the sweet potato on half, place them facing down on a baking tray. I use parchment paper so it doesn't stick.
- Cook the sweet potato for at least 45 mins or until is tender.
- With 15 mins to go, cut the tempeh into long pieces and mix with the liquid aminos.
- Place the tempeh on a baking tray and let cook for the rest of time with the sweet potatoes. It will get a bit crispy on the outside. Flip around half way.
- Once the sweet potato it's done, carefully pill the skin off. Place the sweet potato on a bowl, and smash with a fork. Take the tempeh out and set aside.
- Cut the chipotle into little pieces.
- Add the black beans and cut chipotle to the sweet potato mash and mix.
- Pre heat a pan to low-medium heat.
- Place one tortilla on the pan. spread the sweet potato and black bean mix, add the cilantro, tempeh, and place another tortillas on top.
- Let the tortilla crisp up a bit, than carefully turn around. Once both sides are a bit crisp, repeat the steps with other tortillas.
- Once both quesadillas are done, feel free to cut them half way, and add avocado on top or on the side.
- You could also boil the sweet potato, or bake it in advance over the weekend. I like cooking bunch of sides over the weekend so this recipes become faster.
- You can also take the chipotle out of it so isn't spicy, or switch it with jalapenos.
I hope you make this recipe, and if you do, don't forget to share it with me using #recipesbyana or tag me on Instagram.