Tacos Dorados (Vegan)
This recipe used to be my favorite when I was living in México. Tacos dorados are sooo yummy but most of them were made with tons of meat and cheese, and fried. For years my mum will baked them instead to make them a bit healthier, but they will still have some cheese in it.
So, I made them this time without any cheese, salt or oil to be extra healthy but still yummy!
I usually get the tortillas at a corner store in Boston, but the other corn tortillas should work. I don't recommend the flour tortillas since they will burnt inside the oven.
The mix inside can be changed in a million different ways, you can add more veggies, or soy, but this is the basic basic one, I love adding mushrooms or bell peppers.
I usually have them on their own, or make rice and beans on the side, also a salad would be perfect!
Tacos Dorados (Vegan)
- 2 white potatoes
- 1/2 Small onion
- 1/4 c nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Tortillas (It makes at least 10 tacos)
- Pepper to taste
- Cook the potatoes by simmering in water for 10 minutes. They should be tender. You can use a fork to check, if the fork slices in with no problem, then they are all set!
- Diced the onion on small pieces, set aside.
- Smash the potatoes in a bowl, add the onion, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and nutritional yeast.
- Preheat the oven at 350F/180C
- If the tortillas were inside the fridge the will be hard to move around, so place them in a microwave for 10-15 seconds until they are a bit soft.
- On a plate place one tortilla and add 2-3 teaspoons of the mix in the middle of the tortilla, roll the tortilla until you have a taco form. Set aside.
- Repeat until you finish the tortillas and mix.
- Place parchment paper on a baking tray.
- Put the roll tortillas with the mix on top the parchment paper.
- Cook on the oven for 25-30 minutes, and roll the tacos half way.
- As I mentioned at the beginning, adding refried beans on the side will make them even more yummy!
- Feel free to add mushrooms or bell pepper to the mix.
- Guacamole and this tacos are also the perfect match.
- Since we are not using oil to cook the tacos, it will take longer to get crispy, but don't be scared to leave them more than 30 mins.